I had a pretty uneventful wonderful pregnancy. I was very positive and didn't see the aches and pains as a bad thing as I felt so blessed! We were beyond excited when we found out they were girls. We had a big gender reveal party and everyone was so happy. It seems every milestone we got to kept happening quicker and quicker. The biggest was making it to 30 weeks. That was one I was really happy about.
At 32 weeks when there was protein in my urine and I had elevated blood pressure. My Dr. then wanted to monitor me twice a week. My labs and 24hour urines stayed pretty moderate and weren't too concerning yet.
One morning at 34weeks 2days I woke up with severe upper abdominal pain that I tried to ease with a bath and laying down but I couldn't move or breath without it hurting. I decided to go to Labor and delivery to be checked out. I arrived and my blood pressure was up there. They consulted with my Dr. and did labs and I was diagnosed with pre eclampsia. My Dr. came to talk to me about my options because he was concerned if he sent me home I would end up back in labor and delivery that week and the few extra days of development wouldn't really be a make or break in the health of the babies compared to the risk of the pre eclampsia. He checked my cervix and I was 2.5 cm and 50% effaced. He felt that it was in everyone’s best interest to induce me.
I called my husband and told him that I was being induced that day and he needed to go home get some stuff and meet me at the hospital. I'm sure he was feeling a ton of emotions. The nurse gave me an Iv with fluids and gave me some apple sauce and cereal as my last meal before I was given pitocin. My husband arrived and it was go time! At 4:45pm the nurse gave me my first taste of pitocin. My mom arrived and I tried to sleep but couldn't. I didn't really feel much pain or contractions at that point. I was riding on adrenaline and It took a while to feel contractions. At 6:30pm my Dr came back to check me and I had progressed to 3.5 cm he unexpectedly broke my water. Im actually glad I wasn't warned of it because I probably would have tensed up in anticipation. That was when the fun started!
I started getting stronger contractions and my mom and husband rotated give me back rubs since I was having pretty bad back labor.I didn't make Much progress by 9pm. I felt discouraged as my contractions were bad enough that I though I would have progressed more. I was in pain and wanted an epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and I wasn't sure what to expect. It didn't hurt and I felt relaxed immediately. I was checked at 11:30 pm and I was 4cm. We decided to change my position and use a peanut ball between my legs.I will tell anyone wanting to have a vaginal birth to use the peanut ball! Only an hour later At 12:30am I got uncomfortable, partly because my epidural was wearing off and called my nurse in. I wanted to switch positions as well as tell her I had the feeling I needed to go to the bathroom. She decided to check me and I was 9.5cm. When she said that I was completely shocked! How did I go from 4cm to 9.5cm in an hour? My husband was sleeping on the couch and I called his name to wake him up, I said 9.5! he said what? I said 9.5 centimeters. He got up quickly and didn't know what to do. Meanwhile the nurse wouldn't leave since the babies head was right there. She called my Dr and he told her while we waited for him to get there to practice push. My husband had the pleasure of holding my right leg up as the nurse took my left and on my next contraction I had my first experience with pushing. My nurse was surprised at how good I was at it because after a two practice pushes she said stop. If I kept going she would be delivering Arijana. My husband got scrubbed up since I was delivering in the OR. It was very interesting to have contractions and not push. I had to breath through them and focus on keeping her in.
My Dr. got there and they wheeled me into the OR where they deliver twins in case of the possibility of an emergency csection. I lifted myself up and moved to the bed, and all the nurses were wondering how I could feel my legs to do that.I told them the epidural wore off and I was completely mobile. I remember music being on and while they were setting up I though it was funny the song " we will rock you was on". I guess it was a good song to give me some energy to do this. My Dr was ready and it was go time. On my next contraction I pushed twice and Arijana was out at 1:36am. I was teary eyed and in awe of my sweet baby I just gave birth to .
They did a quick ultrasound to see where Isabella was positioned, she was still breech and very high up he said I won't be able to turn her. I thought that meant he would have to do a c-section. As I though this , i hear him " So that means were gonna deliver her breech." He broke Isabella’s water. Having a baby breech was a totally different feeling. I felt her legs were out and with 2 pushes I pushed her head out and she was here at 1:41am. The song 'yesterday' by the Beatles was on when I gave birth to Isabella. I laid their shocked I just gave birth vaginally to two babies with pre eclampsia and one baby was breech. I felt like a total rockstar!
Seeing Arijana for the first time was amazing I got to look at her and talk to her for a few minutes before I gave Birth to Isabella.
I was able to see them a few minutes before they took them to the nicu as a precaution to monitor them to see if they needed to stay longer. I got wheeled back into the labor room where my mom was and she was shocked at how fast it happened. She was proud of me and so happy I got to have the girls the way I wanted. I told my husband to go be with the babies. My Mom and I cried at the pictures my husband was sending me. I so badly wanted to be with them and that was hard. An hour later I was finally able to go to my post partum room and the Nicu to see the girls. I immediately breastfed Isabella and she latched on amazingly! I had a picture perfect delivery that active labor only lasted 4 hours. I am so lucky and fortunate it went so well and the girls are healthy. Arijana weighed 4lbs10oz and Isabella weighed 4lbs3oz. They needed to stay in the Nicu for 18 days and it was very hard to leave them, but theyre now home with us and although Im barely getting any sleep my heart is soo full with these two beautiful & amazing daughters of ours. I can wait to watch them grow.








I have been lucky to go through this Journey with you! The girls are so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this story... Your courage and strength are amazing! I don't know how you do it with twins, just the one is enough to keep me on my toes!
ReplyDelete